Warren Bennis, famous American scholar and author, is known for many provocative quotes. One quote in particular states, “Excellence is a better teacher than mediocrity. The lessons of the ordinary are everywhere. Truly profound and original insights are to be found only in studying the exemplary.” This quote defines characteristics of an exemplary teacher, also known as a +1 Teacher. Who are these amazing teachers that stand out from the ordinary and why do they matter?
+1 Teachers set the bar for every teacher around them. They are the epitome of hard work, dedication, passion, and commitment. They care more, plan more, organize more, manage more, assess more, monitor more, collaborate more, and share more. They go above and beyond what is expected of them. +1 Teachers hold a growth mindset as well, meaning they are teachable and always willing to learn more. They matter because they set the standard for exemplary teaching. Not only do we need them, we look up to them for inspiration and hope.
+1 Teachers placed equity at the center of teaching and learning. They have a special way of humanizing the learning process and creating a sense of belonging for all of their students. They make learning fun, engaging, and meaningful. Students feel valued and respected in their classroom. +1 Teachers also work tirelessly to perfect their craft as educators. They listen to podcasts and attend trainings, conferences, and workshops to enhance their skills. Every student deserves a +1 teacher and every school benefits from their presence.
· PBL Unit Planning, Curriculum Design, & Learning Objectives
· Google Apps for Educators
o Google Drive
o Google Sites (teacher websites & student websites)
o How to Become a Google Certified Educator – Level 1
· Common Core
o ELA/Literacy Shifts
o Mathematical Practices
o Vocabulary Development (Tiers I, II, and III)
o Depth of Knowledge (DOK) & Rigor
o Text Sets, Close Reading, Text Complexity
· Inclusion Activities and Mindfulness – Equity Centered Learning
· Student Inquiry and Investigation Through PBL
· Action Research for Students
· Student Debates (ethos, pathos, logos) & Socratic Seminars
· Classroom Climate Plans, SEL, & Trauma Informed Practices
· Differentiated Instruction (content, process, product)
· Cultural Proficiency and Decolonizing the Curriculum
· Gifted Education – Kaplan’s Icons
· Protocols for Analyzing Student Work in PLCs
· Lesson Study, Instructional Rounds, & Learning Walks
· Plan, Deliver, Reflect, Revise (PDRR) Cycle
Click here for more information on +1 Teacher workshops and trainings.